Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Where To Start?

Oh my goodness! I want to post so many pictures of the past three weeks and tell you all about camp, but I am overwhelmed.
Not only am I adjusting to life with diapers and tantrums and cooking and dishwashing (I had NONE of that at camp) I am also slowly going through 200 e-mails and trying to catch up on other people's blogs. WHEW!

No pictures at this moment, but just a quick update on what the past three weeks held for me (us). I will also go back and post pictures and catch you all up. Because this is The Drays Today I'll also try to start updating things that are currently happening. You know, like Baby J taking his first steps :o)

The first week of camp was family camp. We were joined by my parents, brother and sister-in-law along with a few other families at the camp I grew up at. It was a cold and overcast great time to relax and hang out as a family. Although the weather was not terrific by any stretch of the imagination, the rain held off most of the time so that we could canoe, horseback ride, play games, and do lots of fun activities. I had not been a "camper" since 1996 so it was kinda weird to go back to that role there. This was my 21st year with the camp.

We spent a short but nice 4th of July weekend with my aunt and uncle who live about 45 minutes from the camp. #1 headed home on the 5th and I headed back to camp. The boys stayed there with my parents during the next two weeks.

The next two weeks I got to see the boys three times, but poor #1 was back in Ohio by himself. He had the added stress of losing and then getting his job back several times (more on that at a later date) within the three weeks I was gone. He had no official break in service, but it was still quite a roller coaster ride that is not done yet.

We have a program at our camp (and other Camp Cheriths) called CILT (Campers In Leadership Training) and I am the CILT instructor. This is my 6th year doing the program and the girl (CILT Counselor) that I had done it with the previous five years did not continue. Instead a new counselor came on board and I LOVED working with her. Although there is a ton to learn about the program and it is very different from what the regular camp schedule looks like, she did a fantastic job and I am excited to have her.

Snug would live at camp if I let him (Ok, I'd live there too) and loved every moment of camp life except "rest hour". He enjoyed campfire, singing, horses, and all the silliness that goes along with camp.

Baby J did not love camp and probably could care less if he ever went back. I think that will change when he gets older, but any craziness or loudness really bothered him and he cried through more than one meal time. I'm pretty sure it has something to do with his sensory issues and I tried to be sensitive to his needs as much as I could. He did like the camp dog "Rufous" and all the sand there is there. He would have loved the pool, but @ 68deg he wasn't getting in.

After spending another weekend at my parent's house #1 met us in Toledo and we returned home with him. Snug was clinging to his neck and Baby J had nothing but smiles for his daddy. I don't know how military families do it. We are finally recuperating and trying to get life back to "normal".

Baby J had a HUGE growth spurt. We had him at 29 inches and 18lbs 14 oz on his first birthday. When we got home we measured him at 29.5 in and 20 lbs 1 1/2 oz. He went to the doctor (another ear infection) yesterday and they had him at 30 in 20 lbs. Hard to tell exact gains when he is weighed and measured so many places, but he is longer and heavier. His "exact" measurements are done at his GI doctor, we'll be there Aug. 12.

Anyway three week long story short, we had a good time and are ready for the next adventure!

3 comments:

Liz K said...

so good to see you again. Thanks for the address to your blog. We (I) have one too if you want to check it out. Glad you had such a good time at camp! And glad you are settling back into normal

MamaBear said...

Thanks for the update Jenney! Camp sounds like so much fun! I only did weekend 4-H camps in Jr. High.

Looking forward to more updates when you get the chance. :)

Deb said...

Welcome back! Glad you had a great time! I saw your hubby standing on the side of the road when I drove by- we was just waiting for traffic so he could give something to a lady on the other side.
BabyJ is seriously close to being as big as Danica- and she's 2! Craziness! I'm glad being away from home didnt effect his growth at all!