Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Day Three

Today is the third full day of the Flats and Handwashing Challenge.  As a reminder, this is a 7 day Challenge where participants can only use flat cloth diapers and have to ditch their washer and dryer in favor of good ol’ fashioned handwashing.  We are close to 500 participants this year and many are blogging their journey.  You can find their posts linked at the end.

No leaks for me!  So far so good in that department.  That was one of my worst fears-that I'd have leaks like crazy.  I have had a blue bum a couple of times from the tie dyed flats, but now that they've been washed a couple of times that has disappeared.

The hand washing has been going pretty well too.  I wash in the evening.  I use my camp style washer and also my bathtub (that's how I get the water in the bucket).  The drying has been really quick and no problems with my flats and covers.  But my nighttime diapers?  Well...that is proving a little harder.  It is muggy here today and  my inserts and pocket for my KaWaii baby heavy wetter overnight are not dry yet...and baby goes to bed in less than 4 hours.  I tried outside drying on my clothesline, and inside on my drying rack.  They are now downstairs perched in front of our dehumidifier.  Here's hoping!

If they don't  dry I will try a diaper bag fold and see what happens.  And hope that I don't get a bath in the middle of the night from her leaking all over me.  She nurses at least 4 times between 7am and 7pm if not more.  So overnight can get messy  :o)

I really don't know how one would do anything but flats and covers if they didn't have dryer access in a tropical environment.

Today's blog topic is supposed to be "How Do You Use Your Flats?".  I was just folding them in triangles but then I noticed they were not staying put too well.  I looked on YouTube and found a video on how to do an oragami fold and that has worked great today.  That's all I have to say on the topic.  Very exciting stuff.


1 comment:

Esther said...

I used to do the origami fold with Emma. The snappis held better, and I found it was more absorbent. Do you have fleece inserts for the "muddy" diapers? How is that part going? I'm enjoying reading these posts!