Saturday, October 11, 2008

Aldi and Wal-Mart VS Sam's Club...

Ok, so you know I"m a little freaky about grocery shopping and you know I'm into cutting costs on anything I can right now...so this blog puts all my crazy hobbies together.
Last night #1 and I went out for our anniversary (yeah, it was in July, we know) and part of the time we spent at Sam's Club pricing items we buy frequently at Aldi and Wal-Mart. Today I went to Aldi and Wal-Mart and priced the exact same items ounce for ounce. Now I have a dilemma...so I need your comments please! (for those of you that don't know how to leave one, you click "comments linked to this post" and then follow directions)
MOST of the items we buy were cheaper where we are currently buying them. However, figuring in about how much of each item we use a year and subtracting the $35 fee to belong to them, I'd save about $41 a year if we got the Sam's Membership. Using the Envelope System from FPU, technically I shouldn't overspend on stuff I don't need (like all the CUTE toys, books, and clothes and good looking other 'stuff' they have there). What do you think?
For those of you who are interested, here are some comparisons.

Cheaper at Sam's: Snuggle Fabric Softener (I use it for baby clothes only)
PB crackers
Kitchen Trash Bags (good savings here)
Family Size Lasagnas-although to be fair I didn't look at hardly any
frozen/fresh food, we don't have tons of freezer space
Dried Fruit Snacks
Tissue-off brand
Milk (4 cents difference, but I"m sure that would change week to week)
Pancake Mix
Pizza Sauce (good savings here)
Hamburger Dill Pickles

Things that tied: Aldi Apple Juice and Sam's Apple Juice
Spaghetti O's from Wal-Mart and Sam's (Aldi's were the most expensive!)
Ketchup from Aldi and Sam's

Things cheapest at Wal-Mart: Off brand Wet Jet refills
Animal Crackers
Clorox for Colors (WAY cheaper than Sam's)

Things you defiantly want to get at Aldi: Kitty Litter
Liquid Laundry Detergent
Paper Towel
Toilet Paper
Eggs (they were charging 25 cents an egg at Sam's!)
Bleach
Spaghetti noodles/sauce
Canned veggies
Box Mac N Cheese

Some other things were cheaper at Aldi, but by $0.004 cents per oz...I didn't think that was a heart attack big deal or anything.

Those of you who buy Huggies diapers (we've personally had trouble with Wal-Mart store brand, and the COSTCO brand are more than the Huggies) Huggies are cheapest at COSTCO club and regular regular no fancy fancy baby wipes (Parent's Choice brand) are cheapest at Wal-Mart in the 432 count box. That also got me today. 432 wipes for $7.50 are cheaper than the same 648 wipes at $11.82. Not a ton of difference in price, but they are in fact cheaper and way cheaper than name brand or Sam's Brand wipes.

No comments: