Monday, March 16, 2009

Esophagogastroduodenoscopy REVISED

***Update at the bottom...scroll down...***

Um, yep. That's what he had today. They call it an EGD...but isn't Esophagogastroduodenoscopy fun to say type? Ah, what a day it was. Too bad it wasn't a Tuesday so I could have my title be "Just Another Tuesday? Never." like I so love to do (because it seems like so many things happen to us on Tuesdays)...but Esophagogastroduodenoscopy is a close second, don't you think?

I digress, serious rabbit trail.

When Baby J woke up this morning he was in a bad mood. He wasn't allowed to eat anything, and if you've ever seen that boy eat, well...his mood wasn't pretty. He is now feeling much, much better from his flu* (we'll discuss that later) and wants to eat lots. Since his procedure wasn't scheduled until 4:15 pm they decided he could have Pedialyte until 11:00am, so he chugged 18 oz in 2 hours. Amazing.

I have to admit I was very nervous. Kinda sick to my stomach. I really appreciate all the Bible verses that were sent my way. It was hardest sitting in the pre-op room waiting and waiting. The staff here is so nice. A nurse was kind enough to tell me almost all the moms cry in the pre-op room. The operating room (OR) nurse had someone else come in and take the bed he was going to be on into the OR so he could personally carry Baby J over. That made me happy to see him happily sucking a paci as he went on an adventure with a new friend.

The Esophagogastroduodenoscopy procedure went well and only took about 20 minutes. Dr. K came in and told us how it went before I had even finished 2 chapters in my book (Which was purchased on June 27, 2008 by our library. It had a date stamp in the back...and that happens to be Baby J's birthday. Wow.).

They took pictures of Baby J's esophagus, stomach, and small intestine. We actually have some of the pictures for his scrapbook. They took several biopsies of suspicious areas, and the results of those won't be back until Wednesday. However, Dr. K said she is pretty sure he has Celiac Disease. I twittered that, but it didn't show up on my blog. She said she can't tell us that 100%, but that she has been doing this for over 2 decades and she knows what she sees, when she sees it. She is pretty sure that is what we are up against.

He has an Upper GI tomorrow morning at 8.

Snug was here playing hide-and-go-seek today and a friend of ours from church visited who happens to be in charge of the residents who are watching over Baby J. I know the big boss. Nice :o)

Well, I can't remember anything else to write...thanks for reading.

I forgot to comment more on the 'flu'. Dr. K said he may or may not have had an actual bug. Sometimes (again IF he does indeed have Celiac) it will present it with flu like symptoms as it progresses to the next stages. Good to know, good to know.


Kim M said...

Praise God you have a diagnosis - I'm sure it wasn't what you wanted to hear, but once you know you are facing, you can start to get him better. Boy are you going to be on a ride, I wonder what it takes to get your dietician degree? How is Mom and Dad? You guys okay?
Thanks for keeping us updated.
Love to all (PopPop and Grandmommy too!)

nancy said...

We love you guys and will keep praying.

MamaBear said...

Just got home and wanted to check in quick before bed.

Praying for you night as you process this new information.

Erin Morgan said...

Wow!! Thanks for the update. We'll continue to pray!

ktheath said...

Praying for today's procedure...Hang in there Jack...Jesus Loves You very much! Emma and Joshua give their hugs and Andrew prayed yesterday at 4:17 after we left Uncle Brian's office. Love, Aunt Katie